Sunday, September 8, 2013

BurdaStyle Pleated Shorts

I don't really own many shorts and most of the ones I do have are quite short and I don't feel comfortable wearing them any more. Its incredibly hard to find nice shorts that are long without being too old fashion and dorky. So when I was looking to make some summery outfits to take to Hawaii I decided to give these BurdaStyle Pleated shorts a go.


There are a few reasons why I chose these shorts in particular. They were pleated at the front which I have found suits my body shape, they have a side zip so I didn't have to be too picky learning to master the front fly and the pattern is actually for pants as well so I was able to make them a bit longer according to the pattern. I am so happy I chose this pattern! I loved the way it turned out and for the first time I actually like wearing shorts!! I was so excited to have some new shorts for Hawaii I ended up making about 5 pairs in little under 2 weeks.

Pair 1 - Brown and Black 
I wasn't sure about these shorts if they looked like pyjamas? Let me know what you think!





Pair 2 - Black Denim Pair.
I was able to wear this pair to my casual Friday at work and they were so comfortable.




Pair 3 - Blue Denim
My favourite pair so far!




Pair 4 - Blue Lightweight Denim
These were the first pants I made as the tester pair. Excuse my droopy eyes it was so hard to take photos this day as it was very windy haha.



The Pattern
This pattern is so easy and I highly recommend to anyone wanting a fun and easy sewing project.

  • There is only a small number of pattern pieces and I was able to make most of these shorts in under 2.5 hours (with all of the hand stitching). 
  • My favourite pairs were the heavier denim so I recommend using this type of material.
  • The cost of each pair was under $20 (with the really good quality denim too).

Now all I have to make is a few more lightweight tops and I am set for my honeymoon in Hawaii!!

❤ ❤ ❤ Erin ❤ ❤ ❤ 

25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Bec!! Feels nice to start sewing again! :)

      Delete
  2. 1st pair PJs?? No way!! They look much more "dressy" to me than could ever be mistaken for PJs. (And I love that fabric too!) Great job on them all, they fit and flatter you very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks Debbie!! Your so sweet. I am so happy for the comments and feel I can wear that pair in public now! haha!!

      Delete
  3. Erin, I love your new shorts.. and I think the first pair is my favorite..[they don't look like pj's at all] . I like the pattern..
    Hawaii... I am so excited for you.. Can't wait to see LOTS of photos , when you get home.. Hope you both have lots of fun..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! Oh yay my pattern pair is wearable! My partner said he liked them but I wasn't sure if he was just being nice. I know only 2 weeks until our wedding!! Then I have a couple of weeks break and THEN the honeymoon haha. We decided to go 2 weeks after as it was about $800 cheaper in flights and accommodation! It will be a very long 2 weeks thats for sure haha. But I might even get some sewing time in and recover from all of this wedding hype :)

      Delete
    2. Erin , smart idea [waiting the 2 weeks]. It will be a long wait.But, so much fun, when you get there.. I will be thinking about you..
      Maybe you will have time to make some more shorts..Those are so cute.

      Delete
  4. love the first pair!! the fabric is wonderful, and it looks very dressy, i think. well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I am so glad they don't appear to be PJ looking :) Love your blog I am your newest follower! xx

      Delete
  5. Love the zigzag shorts - so chic! great pattern, looks super on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think pair 1 are my favourite. i'm not getting a pyjama vibe at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya!! I am so glad you don't get the PJ vibe. I guess with the first pair of shorts you can't be too sure. Denim is always a safe bet so its nice to have something a little different. xx

      Delete
  7. They absolutely do NOT look like pajamas!!!!!
    Gorgeous shorts hun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah thanks sweet. I was thinking of you the other day you have been very absent from your blog. We miss you and your beautiful dresses. So excited to see your new post!! xx P.S so want to come back to Melb next year!!

      Delete
  8. I am so looking into this pattern. I love your versions especially the denims. They will be perfect for Hawaii! Csn't wait to hear about your wedding and Hawaii!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty!! Its a great pattern I highly recommend, you will love it. Wedding and Hawaii is so close now its feels crazy its less that 2 weeks. I am sure its going to go so quickly too lol.

      Delete
  9. I like all the versions, especially the ones you think look like pyjamas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Zoe!! I will be stylish wearing the pj shorts by the sounds of it lol!

      Delete
  10. I like all the versions, but especially the first pair. "Pajama look" is really high-fashion in NY and LA this summer, so you will be very fashion-forward for Hawaii. Even after the PJ moment is over, I think that the graphic print will remain a classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thats so lovely. Yay I have totally fluked the in fashion trend coming to Hawaii lol. So glad to hear you like the print!! I will feel very cool wearing them now :)

      Delete
  11. These are sooo nice!...I just whipped up my first pair of shorts the other day...I feel like you; I don't wear the daisy dukes anymore and the longer ones always look sorta, well old...but these are nice!...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so great to hear you have made up your first pair, I have just checked them out and they are really awesome. What an outfit! Its good trying out new patterns and realising you can suddenly wear shorts again hehe.

      Delete
  12. Fabulousness!!! I do love a good pair of shorts, and these are really very lovely. I love coming to see your finished makes as being able to see a pattern made from multiple fabrics gives such a great perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you make things in multiples! I'm pretty sure I bookmarked these shorts in the burdastyle mag and now that I've seen yours I'm pretty keen to give it a go. I think your patterned pair are cool - definitely not pjamaish. Have fun in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete

I heart Fabric Link Within