Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Birthday BurdaStyle - Copy Cat Challenge


It's my 28th birthday today which is really exciting! As something fun for today I have decided to share with you my latest sewing creation. A blue BurdaStyle jacket which was inspired by this Alannah Hill jacket below.


The pattern I used was the BurdaStyle handbook jacket which I have been wanting to make for a while now. I really loved this pattern, it was a fairly straightforward easy pattern to use. There are some really cute features of this pattern including the front pleats, curved bottom and back pleats. I used fabric covered buttons to match it perfectly and really loved how it turned out.



Close up of jacket - including fabric covered buttons.

Jacket undone.

Love the back pleats on this jacket!


I loved this pattern so much I am going to make it again with the jacket below as inspiration but with a plain black base and blue tartan sleeves and inside lining. This can be another part of our Copy Cat Challenge which I am running again with Ping (the copy cat wizard!). She has some really amazing outfits to come and lots of educational tips so we can figure out what makes Ping so creative when sewing!

New Girl - Red jacket from pinterest.

A few of my birthday presents this year which I cant wait to use includes a voucher to Spoonflower and Feminine Wardrobe: 21 Beautiful Skirts, Dresses and Tops for You to Make book seen below. There seem to be some really great reviews for this book so I'm looking forward to making some of the dresses!


28 comments:

  1. Happy birthday gorgeous girl!!:) cute jacket mate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Bec!! Had such a great bday this year :)

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday! Hope you have/had a great day. I really like your coat, it is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps Johanna!! You're so sweet :) It was a really great day actually (had the day off work) which was awesome and went out to lunch! Plus I got very spoilt this year!

      Delete
  3. You may have just given me an idea for my ikat fabric with your lovely birthday make- do you think this would convert to a coatdress fairly well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe oh yay that's so good to hear! Yes definitely my mum was saying that when I wore it to hers actually it would make a nice coat dress hehe. Might be able to put a zipper up the front or something? There is lots of variations in the BurdaStyle book that might help with some ideas too :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday! And what a gorgeous coat. I might have to buy the book just for that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! It's a brilliant book one of my favourite as there are so many different examples.

      Delete
  5. This is a lovely coat.. It is on my to do list. but sometimes I feel I should choose Karins variation of Jacket.. LOL.. Byt he way I completed a tee for the copy cat challenge :) WIll post soon..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so excited to see your copy cat challenge!! Haha there are so many great versions in the book!! I'm looking forward to making another one.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday !! :D
    This coat is really nice, I still never had the guts to make myself one!!
    Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maude!! This one is so easy I have always thought they would be very technical and turn out horrible. Almost as easy as a dress :)

      Delete
  7. I love this jacket! I've been wanting to make it for so long. Yours is adorable. Such an interesting fabric choice - I never would have thought to use a print but I absolutely love it.

    And I used the giftcard you sent me to buy some silk from Jo-Anns! Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Haha thanks so much Alison!! So glad you were able to get something nice with the gift card! :)

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday and your new coat is so pretty, I really like that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth!! I actually saw your version which made me want to make it so thank you!! Hehe.

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday Erin, you're coat is GAW-GEOUS! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks so much Lonnie your so sweet :)

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday (for yesterday)! Love the coat. I hope I can enter your comp. Trying to find sewing time ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rosi!! Oh yay how exciting. Well 3 months still to go so hopefully plenty of time if you can find something you really want to make :)

      Delete
  12. Happy birthday, lovely lady! That lovely blue is so your colour!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Belated Birthday Erin. Hope you had a good one.. Lvoe, love your new coat. It is beautiful and the blue looks so pretty on you..
    Copy cat challenge #2-- yea..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judy!! I had a fantastic Birthday thank you. Already worn this little jacket a few times now. Love the pattern so much I have another 3 jackets planned in between wedding organising hehe. Hope you can enter Copy Cat Challenge 2!! xx

      Delete
  14. Very lovely coat! It's a nice print and the perfect color for you. Happy belated birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Becca!! I have already picked out 2 more lots of fabric to make this jacket again I loved it so much. I had such a great bday too, thank you :)

      Delete
  15. very beutifull I must try one time sew a coat!

    ReplyDelete

I heart Fabric Link Within