Yay!! I have finished my Julia Bobbin Mad Men Challenge dress. I ended up making a black dress for this version and tried as much above to look the part. I don't smoke and couldn't think of something to put in my hand so I just did a side pose to match Joan Holloway lol.
The pattern of this dress is based on Butterick 5747. I did a previous post as a tester and I am glad I did because I ended up making quite a few changes to this pattern. It actually ended up making it look more like the Joan Holloway dress.
My partner was home this weekend (usually he is at uni during the day) so I got him to help me take some photos OUTSIDE!! Except with the glare it kinda makes me do this funny Paris Hilton thing with my eye.
Also, apologies that my lightbox display isnt currently working on my blog. It all of a sudden stopped. I have contacted Google to see if I can get this fixed it looks to be a common problem with a few blogs at the moment. Fingers crossed they fix it soon!
This was going to be my Joan Holloway pose haha how funny.
I liked the top one much better.
So I absolutely loved the outcome of this dress!! The length of the dress is awesome because its past your knees and actually looks better at that length. I ended up bringing the top section of the dress up by a large amount so I didn't have to wear a top underneath it (as shown in my previous post). The collar is probably 30% of the original width and then I had to cut it to fit the new front section. I also changed the top front and back patterns pieces as they included these small capped sleeves as part of the pattern, so removing this allowed me to add my own sleeves.
The top buttons change colour with the flash but they are all
meant to be black with the gold around the outside.
I am definitely going to make this again! I might even make it the same colour as Joan Holloway dress as I bought the Cobalt Blue material to match it perfectly.
Yay my second challenge for the year complete. I am not sure I will get time to do the 40s Lucky Lucille challenge and I am kinda stumped on what fabric to buy and what to create (even though there are a million examples).
I am also still making a heap of the BurdaStyle 120 dresses so I can pick the perfect combination for my bridesmaids dresses. Here is a sneak peak into my next post!