Friday, March 22, 2013

Mad Men Dress Challenge


Yay!! I have finished my Julia Bobbin Mad Men Challenge dress. I ended up making a black dress for this version and tried as much above to look the part. I don't smoke and couldn't think of something to put in my hand so I just did a side pose to match Joan Holloway lol.

The pattern of this dress is based on Butterick 5747. I did a previous post as a tester and I am glad I did because I ended up making quite a few changes to this pattern. It actually ended up making it look more like the Joan Holloway dress.

My partner was home this weekend (usually he is at uni during the day) so I got him to help me take some photos OUTSIDE!! Except with the glare it kinda makes me do this funny Paris Hilton thing with my eye.

Also, apologies that my lightbox display isnt currently working on my blog. It all of a sudden stopped. I have contacted Google to see if I can get this fixed it looks to be a common problem with a few blogs at the moment. Fingers crossed they fix it soon!



This was going to be my Joan Holloway pose haha how funny. 
I liked the top one much better.

So I absolutely loved the outcome of this dress!! The length of the dress is awesome because its past your knees and actually looks better at that length. I ended up bringing the top section of the dress up by a large amount so I didn't have to wear a top underneath it (as shown in my previous post). The collar is probably 30% of the original width and then I had to cut it to fit the new front section. I also changed the top front and back patterns pieces as they included these small capped sleeves as part of the pattern, so removing this allowed me to add my own sleeves.




The top buttons change colour with the flash but they are all 
meant to be black with the gold around the outside.

I am definitely going to make this again! I might even make it the same colour as Joan Holloway dress as I bought the Cobalt Blue material to match it perfectly.

Yay my second challenge for the year complete. I am not sure I will get time to do the 40s Lucky Lucille challenge and I am kinda stumped on what fabric to buy and what to create (even though there are a million examples). 

I am also still making a heap of the BurdaStyle 120 dresses so I can pick the perfect combination for my bridesmaids dresses.  Here is a sneak peak into my next post!



30 comments:

  1. It's lovely and looks great on you! You should definitely make another one ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, already going through my fabric stash to see if anything else fits. Otherwise it will be the cobalt blue hehe.

      Delete
  2. I like what you've done here better than the original pattern. Very retro-modern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie!! It was a bit fiddly to get it to look the way it did but I definitely like it better! More comfortable too not flashing anyone hehe.

      Delete
  3. You look great in your Joan Holloway dress and you are so much prettier than Paris Hilton. You have done a great job reinventing the Butterick pattern to get this lovely result. I would wear this dress to many different occasions; it is very classy. Good luck in the Mad Men competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thank you so much Marjorie your such a cutie. I actually really like this pattern now as well its funny cause I probably never would have picked it if it wasn't for the Mad Men Challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing Julia's post with all the versions it should be great! Oh I found a really nice head piece on Etsy too! It was about $150 but it looks like it will be worth it. Thanks for the idea!! :)

      Delete
  4. Its good to unleash the inner Jona! You look great! Another 'gotta try' pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh thank you your so lovely!! It was a pretty awesome pattern in the end! Yay for the Mad Men Challenge.

      Delete
  5. What a fab dress! You have done a great job on this. I am also excited about the bridesmaid's dresses, the sneak peek looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! It is really exciting actually I am just so glad I have the fabric but I don't want to cut it up until I know the dresses will be perfect hehe. Cant wait to see them finished though. :)

      Delete
  6. Dress looks great babe!! And very nice photos.
    I reckon u could pump out a few more mad men dresses :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hhehe is this a challenge missy!! Thanks heaps I might even get some time this week cause Taka is at uni 2 nights plus the weekend this week. I have too many projects in my head though so its just deciding which one I do next. I have been making so many dresses as well so I hope its not boring everyone lol!

      Delete
  7. I actually like your dress better then your inspiration. Another fantastic garment from you. Good work with using a Mad Men look but still making it so wearable and contemporary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy thats so nice of you to say :) I really like the black version I have already worn it to work and loved it. Its one of those dresses that makes you feel good even on a fat/ugly day hehe.

      Delete
  8. I love this dress.One of the prettiest ones you have done..It fits perfect and looks great on you.. Yours is prettier than Joan Collins.ha.
    I like that it is black.. so pretty.. Happy sewing.
    Really anxious to see the next post? curious???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy your so sweet! I love the black version too a lady at work commented and said 'you don't normally wear black, but I love it' hehe. Something a little different for me but so glad I made it :) I have posted up my next few dresses I didn't want to make everyone wait too long.
      Happy sewing to you too cant wait to see these outfits your making for yourself!!

      Delete
  9. Lovely! I also love the last burda 120 dress great fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) I have just added you to my blog listing I love finding new blogs!!

      Delete
  10. This looks smashing! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY! You finished your Mad Men dress, it looks great :) Good job! I'm loving the Burda Black/White dress at the middle bottom <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy :) I am so looking forward to seeing yours! And the Sew for Victory Outfit!!

      Delete
  12. Looks great! the buttons are super cutesy:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes make another because it's perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shanni I will try my best to knock out another one hehe.

      Delete
  14. This looks absolutely lovely! Very Joan! You've inspired me to make a below the knees dress, very flattering indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Esme! Oh I am so glad :) below the knee is great I hate my knees so I think I prefer this style now lol.

    ReplyDelete

I heart Fabric Link Within