I decided for the Mad Men Challenge I would make a version of this Butterick 5747 dress. I actually bought some material that would be almost exactly the same as the Joan Holloway dress below but decided to make up a 'tester' dress with some old fabric I had. The blue is just a little bit darker and actually not the best quality so it didnt take well in some parts.
This Butterick 5747 pattern is actually really cool. It includes a belt and dickie part to it which I haven't included but I really liked the dress (fitted skirt) outcome. I also even made some fabric buttons!!
These photos aren't the best sorry! It's really hard to find time to take photos at the moment because its been raining pretty much all month in Brisbane and it becomes really dark in my house. Perfect weather for sewing though I don't even have to make excuses for being antisocial lol.
Here are some up close up photos of the dress.
Fabric Button Kit! So easy!
I love the cut of this dress but if I was to wear to it work I would probably reduce the collar by about half and maybe bring up the front a little higher that way so I don't have to wear a singlet underneath. This would make it really nice and a perfect dress for work. Also, maybe in a black linen.
We still have a little while to make the Mad Men Dress for Julia's challenge so I might redo this dress but in the right fabric. I have pretty much finished my Tessuti Gridlock fabric competition outfit so I'll post up photos soon. I made a Vogue Skirt and Jacket but I didn't love the skirt so I made a different one because I ended up with a heap of fabric left.
Tessuti Fabric and pattern I used!
Don't forget to check out my Copy Cat Challenge where I will be giving away a BurdaStyle Handbook on May 31. There are some really fantastic entries already and links back to these blogs. All entries will also be receiving a little reward from BurdaStyle which will be announced shortly (hopefully Monday).