Monday, February 11, 2013

BurdaStyle 120 Dress

So its been a really busy last couple of weeks - back at work, trip to Melbourne and trying to create my next project. I went and visited Rathdowne Fabric and Darn Cheap Fabric when I was in Melbourne and I got so much great printed fabric mostly in the Cotton Sateen. The only problem then is when you have so much fabric you get overwhelmed and I didn't know what to create next!

I have a heap of patterns but I wasn't in the mood to trace out a pattern so I figured I might check out BurdaStyle because it seems easier to just print it out sometimes. So I ended up deciding on pattern #120 shown below.

BurdaStyle #120

Image courtesy of BurdaStyle

This pattern looked awesome and I really liked the detail in the top. I knew it was sleeveless and as you probably already know I don't really like sleeveless dresses but low and behold the pattern came with these really awesome sleeves!! Was so excited when I printed it out that I didn't have to try and work that one out.





After I made the first dress I figured I loved the top but thought it might look better with the pleated skirt. Then after looking at the design I realised this dress is very similar to a dress from Cue that I had in my wishlist. Check out the blue dress on the dress category main screen its so similar to the top of this pattern.

So here is my next make and it had a lot to do with the dress above. What do you think? Similar but printed?
This actually gave me an idea to make a Copy Cat Challenge on my blog for those who might have an item of clothing you have always wanted to make!


Close up of the front



Close up of the side


So I guess my outcome was I loved this pattern. At first I didn't like how tight fitting the bottom was, which is the top brown and black dress. I had to re-cut the bottom because the size I cut was too small and in doing this I ended up just taking off the back triangle at each side. But I guess it turned out okay after the alterations and is wearable. But if I was to make it again I would definitely be doing the pleated skirt version.

I didn't even touch my fabric from Melbourne because I am too scared to use it I want to make sure when I do use it, it will be for the PERFECT dress or outfit.


The other thing I did in Melbourne was meet up with Neeno from Sew Me Love!! She is just adorable and such a nice girl it was so great to meet her and have a good laugh at our blogs and swap sewing stories. It sucks she's so far away because I would be wanted to catch up with her all the time. At least its an excuse to go back down anyway!

Me and Neeno in Melbourne

Oh and I went to Swedish House Mafia for those dance music fans. Totally awesome and we had VIP so even in the Melbourne rainy weather we had the best time! Plus free drinks!! We tried to pay for them and got shut down so it was well worth the money. Cant wait to go back to Melbourne was such a relaxing, fun and we completely spoilt ourselves shopping!

Swedish House Mafia concert!

I also hope there are not any broken links on my site I am trying to clean up my reviews, add better photos etc and in doing so I have taken down a few of my really old reviews with crappy photos. Hopefully get these nicer photos up soon!!

Happy Sewing!!

37 comments:

  1. Holy monkey hats! That orange version is freaking amazing! I love love love this- so rad for work and then out for drinks afterwards. Love your work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda!! I think I will be making a few of these dresses it turned out pretty cool. I wish my life was that fun - drinks after work hehe. More like get home to feed the pugs and do the groceries lol!

      Delete
  2. Ok, my mind is snapping trying to decide which one I love more!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks prttynpnk they are both similar but different but in a nice way.

      Delete
  3. Love them both!! espec the 2nd one, gorgeous!
    Talented woman:)
    also have u lost a bit of weight? U look smaller in the waist?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks Bec! That might be my illusion of the suck it in belt I'm wearing. I wore it to work yesterday and had to take it off cause I thought it was going to push my ribs together lol. But thank you hehe I did join a gym 2 weeks ago cause I end up not bothering with my home gym. Don't think Melbourne helped to that cause but long term I wanna be skinny for my wedding in September! Just have to get through winter lol!

      Delete
    2. Well either way you look great ;)
      Damn winter!!

      Delete
  4. They are both lovely dresses but I really like the pleated skirt version. Looks like you had a great time in Melbourne, fabric shopping!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marjorie! The pleated one is my fav too. Melbourne was great if I had more space in my suitcase I would have bought even more! Rathdowne was great though said they could email and ship me new fabric when it comes in so that will be dangerous in the long run!

      Delete
  5. I'm with Amanda on the monkey hats! She totally cracks me up! They are both so freaking great!! You do such good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe you guys are so funny! Thanks heaps Shanni!! I'm on a mission to find a bridesmaid dress I think I'm getting closer!

      Delete
  6. You are so right..It really does look like the blue dress on your wish list.. I like yours better..It is gorgeous and looks great on you.
    Love your fabric purchases too..SO pretty.. Can't wait to see what pretty things will come from these?
    SO happy you and Neeno had such a fun meet up..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Judy your so sweet! I was thinking of entering the pattern review comp with this dress and ill do up a blue version to match. The fabric is great there is one missing from that photo which has these beautiful roses. I just have to make sure I wash them properly then its going to be hard to choose what to do with them. Hehe yea it was so nice to meet another blogger and Neeno was just gorgeous! Should do meet ups more often with everyone!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous! How tall are you? Did you have to make any adjustments to change this from a "tall" pattern to standard sizing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Caroline! I forgot to mention about the tall sizing I am about 164cm so really not that tall! I usually serge the edge and turn it up only slightly but this skirt I just turned it in on itself which was about 5cm x 2 so maybe an extra 10cm. Really not that big of a deal being a "tall" pattern. I like dresses being a bit longer anyway so I think it's better to be longer and take it up than be too short (like some of the vogue patterns). Awesome pattern though!

      Delete
  8. Love the black shoulders on both dresses! I'm really into shoulder embellishments right now. And totally jealous that you saw Swedish House Mafia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trisha! I love the shoulders too they are a nice feature. Different from a lot of other patterns which is a nice change! Haha I would love to tell you they were horrible but that would be a lie they were amazing. Although most people at the event were in the cold Melbourne rain so we were totally pampered in VIP it was well worth the expensive tickets lol. The VIP tickets was my bribe to my partner to go to Melbourne and have a fabric/clothes shopping trip hehe!

      Delete
  9. Hun I love the printed one!!
    Wow you whipped up two dresses since I saw you?? Machine! I'm still working on those pants at class and have not had any time to do sewing at home, wahhh!
    Hopefully this weekend :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I planned a very boring weekend after our Melbourne trip. Had to save some money lol. It was a pretty easy dress I didn't do any lining. Oh no how are the pants going lol!? It's cause there is just too many exciting things to do in Melbourne I wouldn't get anything done either! I can't wait to see these pants and then you should make something you really want!! Like maybe a dress!!?? Hehehe.

      Delete
  10. Two great looking dresses. Both would be welcomed to my closet.
    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cennetta! You should add it to your pattern list hehe!!

      Delete
  11. Just found your blog via Burdastyle and I'm so happy I did! Also, these dresses are faaaaabulous x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks so much Reana thats so lovely! I can't believe my dress it featured on the BurdaStyle home page yay.

      Delete
  12. I so love your dress. I saw that Cue dress and I desperately wanted it and my Mum has been looking for a pattern that will look as much as possible like it and now she thinks she can do it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay!! Please email me a pic when you make it I would so love to see it!! I'm going to try and make the exact blue one too. It's so good we can make dresses and good luck with yours!! Go mum!

      Delete
  13. Fabulous dresses and fitted so well. I'm partial to floral so I think my favourite is the orange. The contrasting shoulders are a very nice detail too. I think I have this pattern in a burdastyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rosi! Hehe I am going to try make the orange one again this weekend but in the blue to match the Cue dress so hopefully works out just as good. I might even try all one colour to compare too! Cute pattern though!

      Delete
  14. Fantastic dresses! I actually made this dress too but have problems with the sleeves binding approx. two inches down from my shoulder - even though I didn't put a full sleeve in! Maybe I want too much, expecting to be able to wear a fitted bodice with sleeves and still put my arms above my head but yours both look like they'd be fine in that department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know I think it was good in these two versions because I used a cotton sateen but once you get into the fabrics with no stretch I found I had to make it a bit bigger otherwise I couldn't move my arms lol!! I will post up some detail in my next post as I had to do a few changes. I also found it was really high like almost choking so had to cut the neckline down a little. Worth the fiddling in the end though I found hehe.

      Delete
  15. Both dresses are really great, and I love the contrast on the shoulders. I think I have that Burda issue, so I'm glad to know this pattern is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal! Oh how cool I don't get the magazines I wish I did though. I just stalk BurdaStyle website on a weekly basis hehe.

      Delete
  16. you are a stitching maniac! cranking out dresses left and right! love these both, as always, the solid shoulders are a modern touch. lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dixie!! Hehe I have made so many of this dress now. They are so easy to make I can't help myself :)

      Delete
  17. I love that orange dress on you - gorgeous! And look at you featured on Burdastyle!! Well done. Your new fabric looks lovely. Make sure you do use it. I have been guilty of keeping special fabric way too long and not using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan I know how exciting I couldn't believe it!! Thank you for your kind comment. I keep changing my mind what I want to do with the fabric hehe. I agree I am the worst and not using the fabric I have lol.

      Delete

I heart Fabric Link Within