Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Vogue 1287 Bird Dress


So I probably should have read the reviews before I started this one because they were all spot on for some of the problems I faced doing this dress. It took me the morning to make the dress and then the afternoon to fix all the things I should have checked at the start. Although I must warn there are a couple of things you can't really check until your wearing the finished garment.


Image courtesy of Vogue Patterns

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were very easy to follow. There are quite a few steps. The part with the pocket got me thinking for a little while analysing the picture but I finally worked it out.

Sizing:
I cut a size 12 all over.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? 
The picture on the pattern really drew me in it was unique and pretty. I loved the idea of the pleated front and skirt and I was interested in the material that went from the front to the back. At first I didn't realise it was the pocket which threw me off when making the garment I thought it was just another piece of material draping from the front to the back.

Fabric:
Lightweight Polyester blend.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
There are a few so I might list them.

1. Front was way too big. (This is in all of the previous reviews as well). I didn't read the reviews until I was finished wondering what happened lol so I did my best to fix it. The way I fixed it was I basically folded in the collar, took out the first two pleats on either side and folded them in so its wasn't so large at the front centre and then resewed it to the skirt. If I made this again I am not even sure how to fix it because it seemed to fit around my arms it was just gaping where my triple D breasts should have been to fill the thing!! It would probably work better to take out a section of the front where the pleats are and not from the sides.

Dress showing collar and front flop
(way too much material in the centre)

2. Once the dress was made (this might be because of the material I used) I really, really hated the skirt pocket draping to the back of the skirt. It just hung all floppy and sat funny on my bum. Really unflattering!! So I pretty much just unpicked that part of the skirt, cut a plain piece which was to replace the pocket and sewed it back up. No pockets and no funny flapping material business.

Skirt Side - Material just flopping and looking a bit ugly.

Back - Notice the side flaps and awful sagging - eiiikk!!

Replacement piece of material using my tracing paper.

3. For some reason I don't really like how you have an extra part of material that makes the hem of the skirt. In this material it was just too hard to get the fold line right so I just scrapped that and folded the skirt hem up. However its a bit shorter now for my liking so if I made it again I would just add that length to the skirt.

After I finally made the alterations to this I actually really liked the dress and was really happy I made the effort to fix it. I liked the material pattern too so was happy it didn't go to my waste bin!!
  
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? 
Yes but only with all of these alterations. No pockets, smaller front chest and longer skirt. I would highly recommend everyone does this in a muslin first because there may be these types of alterations needed and luckily I had extra material for this dress.

Conclusion:

I like my new Vogue/Erin dress and would probably now sew it again. The material makes it nice for summer so hopefully I will get a few wears out if it.

See my photos which I took in the sweltering hot!! Its been ridiculously hot in Brisbane the past few weeks and being on holidays I have only my lounge room with the air-con to battle the heat, or the shops which is a bit dangerous!! Back to work next week so at least I will be in air con next week but still upsetting as I don't have much more sewing time!!

Notice the top has no collar now, hehe.






Let me know what you think!! Hopefully this review helped you!!

More Vogue reviews coming soon as its been a Vogue sewing holiday hehe.

18 comments:

  1. Pretty dress and I love the material. Your altered neckline looks better than the original IMHO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie!! It was a struggle to get there and a lot of unpicking but it finally worked out. Not as floppy!

      Delete
  2. The material is super cute:) the length looks fine to me:) good job with the alterations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bec!! I think I'm worried about the length cause of my whitey legs. Might have to invest in some more fake tan hehe.

      Delete
  3. your dress looks good, I agree with you, this pattern is way too big, I tried to adjust mine after it was sewn up but it was not very successful. which is too bad as I like the style/shape of the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your review I wished I had of read it before I made the dress!! Thats a shame you couldnt fix it but I agree to top part was soo big!! Mine is a bit fudged at the top but only if you look really close hehe.

      Delete
  4. The dress looks really good on you. It seems to be your style and the skirt does not seem too short. :) The fabric is also supercute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna!! I know I am a bit conscious of my white legs so always try to wear black stockings or have the dress a bit longer. Might have to buy some fake tan to accommodate hehe. :)

      Delete
  5. So proud you were able to fix the dress. It turned out really cute.. But, I so hate, when A pattern causes all that trouble, and takes so much time to correct..[lazy here,ha]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I know I have had that problem before with vogue I think it was pattern 1207 and the fabric was from Japan so I was really excited about it. I couldn't really fix that one though and kinda put that pattern in the dud pile. At least this one was fixable and I would probably make it again now knowing what to change.

      Delete
  6. This turned out really cute! The fabric is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely as usual! sorry about all the issues with the fit and shape. it sounds like a pretty finicky pattern (sometimes vogue is just like that, i guess). but it looks great with your changes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dixie!! I know they can be a bit of a pain sometimes. Awesome designs but dont always fit perfectly. I really liked the fabric though so didn't want it to go to waste hehe.

      Delete
  8. Looking at the line drawing of this pattern it looks quite complicated. I made a similar Vogue dress (V1220) that needed major altering too. I'm glad I did because I really like it. I'm a big fan of Vogue patterns, like you. This dress was worth the pain - it looks great and quite versatile too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its good when we can fix them isn't it!! My V1207 went beyond repair I haven't even put that one in my Clothes reviews link because my photo of it is terrible. There were definitely a few things about the 1220 that could be changed (they seem to be really short too). Glad you were able to fix it to fit when you made it :)

      Delete
  9. How are you a 12?!??!?! You are tiny!
    Love your reviews babe, I'm scouting through them looking for my next project :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this pattern ended up being a bit huge at the top so probably be a 10 or 8. I usually make 12 cause then I can go down a size it's a bit hit and miss with me. Big bottom small top!! I I need to find some new patterns too to make some more dresses from my Melbourne fabric!

      Delete

I heart Fabric Link Within