Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Simplicty 1755 Dress

Pattern Photo:


My Photo:

I loved this pattern when it came out. I think I would have bought the dress off the front cover if I could. I really like the top part of this dress and the sleeves. Its more unique I haven't seen it done like this in many other patterns or ones that I have. After making this dress I finally realised that the puffy dresses/skirts don't go well with my body shape I feel a lot chunkier in size. Its very cute though and would suit many body types...just not mine.

I used 100% cotton which I actually found in the quilting section. I always forget about the quilting material so when they are on sale its wonderful and sometimes better than the fashion fabrics.

No pattern alterations. I didn't make the belt. Looking at the pattern I actually thought the belt part was constructed into the dress but later realised its separate. I did make it but didn't think it was worth finishing as standard belts normally finish it a bit nicer which I have worn in the photos below.

I don't think I would sew this one again or if I did I might make the skirt fitted with some small pleats instead of puffy because of my shape. Definitely recommend this one its really cute. Oh and I just realised I didn't fold my sleeves in these pics like the pattern photo so I guess you can wear them either way long or short haha.

Front close up

Back side view

Back View

Side View

Let me know what you think!! I am sure this pattern is on many wish lists!!

I almost forgot to add a pugshot from Bella and Busta.

♥♥♥♥ Erin ♥♥♥♥

15 comments:

  1. This is such a cute dress. I'm glad you did the contrasting fabric. It looks very chic. Can't wait to pick up this pattern. Thanks for the review and so glad to hear it's very straightforward =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara!! I know there arent many people with reviews yet so glad I could be one of the first. Hopefully it goes well for you youll have to shoot me a link so I can check it out!!

      Delete
  2. I have this pattern in my stash and I'm like you if I could buy the dress on the cover I would. I love your version. Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh I know I was seriously trying to find fabric like what they had but it was impossible lol. I will check back on yours when you have it I have you on my bloglovin now so get to be reminded when you make something yay!

      Delete
  3. aww, this is adorable! i liked the pattern from looking at the envelope but this is the first finished version i've seen. it looks great on you! i love the solid mixed with the patterned fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dixie! I know there aren't many done up versions of this dress so it was going to be hard to tell but the pattern front looked amazing.

      Delete
  4. Adorable! I love your fabricv choice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I am in the process of cutting out the fabric for this pattern, myself. I love your fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison :) Oh yay! I will have to check it out one you have finished I am sure its going to look fantastic on you!!

      Delete
  6. I'm currently making this dress, do you have any tips or comments on the cuffs for the sleeves? Mine are not coming out quite right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stevie,
      If you want to send me your email at info@iheartfabric.com.au I will email you some photos of the sleeves close up and some info. Mine are also not turned up I totally forgt that step hehe..

      Delete
  7. I am just making this dress for my daughter also. I can't believe I actually started following the directions for view A when I meant to make view B with the sleeves...sigh...rookie mistake that I am very mad at myself for making, as I am far from a rookie. But it was nice to see your dress all made up. :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no haha don't worry it happens to the best of us! If it makes you feel any better I still haven't unpicked the skirt because I wanted to make it a little more fitted. But thank you so much for your comments! :) good luck getting it finished your a fabulous parent and I'm sure your daughter will be excited once its done!

      Delete
  8. Hello!! I'm just making this but the collar instructions are hurting my brain. Maybe I'm too tired. When they say facing in step 31 they mean the non interfaced collar pieces right?

    ReplyDelete

I heart Fabric Link Within